The Forbidden Comb

The cast (L to R standing): Josh Presley, Jeff Cull, Allison Burress, Rachel Montes, Kaitlynn Crank, Gary Hill, Blake Chapman and Carlo Tolentino (on floor)

Staff

On Friday, Feb. 23, several South Dearborn students took to the stage to explore issues of humanity during the Holocaust.  The play entitled The Forbidden Comb explored the lives of prisoners at the infamous Auschwitz concentration camp during World War II.  It followed the story of a young female prisoner who was devastated by the loss of a treasured comb given to her by her mother.  She interrogates her bunkmates, and they share their own stories of loss and hope as they try to discover who stole her precious belonging.  Their quiet contemplation is threatened by the menacing presence of a kapo who uses force to subdue and control them.

South Dearborn senior Blake Chapman wrote the original script.  He and Mr. Todd Simms had discussed the idea, and Mr. Simms provided the general storyline for the play.  It was then Blake’s job to create the characters and fill out the plot with dialogue.  After the script was written, he and Mr. Simms then cast the show and worked together to direct the production.  Due to his extensive education in Holocaust studies, Mr. Rick Zimmerman acted as a consultant, helping Blake and the actors stay true to the real experience.  Blake is not new to script writing.  He created an  adaption of King Lear performed by SDHS students last year at the Project 38 festival in Cincinnati.  When comparing this new writing job with the King Lear assignment, Blake said The Forbidden Comb was was more difficult because there was no original source material to rely upon.

Senior Allison Burress agreed that some parts of the performance were tricky for her, too.  Her character, Edith, is sent into a state of despair when she loses the last link to her mother and family, a comb.  Allison explained, “It was hard trying to understand how to feel that way…that a comb WAS my mom, because it was all that was left of her.  I’ve never experienced that type of loss before.”  All of the actors had to channel some degree of sadness as some of their characters sank under the burden of loss, while others managed to rise up with hope during the dark days.

During the epilogue, Edith revealed that her treasured come made it back to her, and when asked how she regained possession of the comb, Blake explained, “I don’t know.  I wanted to leave that open to the viewer’s interpretation.  A lot of the real Holocaust stories end in an open way.  People just disappear, then reappear and don’t want to talk about it.”

In addition to the actors, other students contributed to the productions, as well.  Senior Hank Bergmann created the soundtrack mix that helped create the somber mood, and senior Bradley Rumsey designed and built the impressive bunk bed set that represented the prisoners’ barracks.  Mr. Simms designed and created the costumes, the striped pajama-style shirt and pants with the ubiquitous yellow Star of David on the breast.

Overall, it was a well-executed look at what life might have been like then, and it left viewers thinking about the value of life and how to maintain hope and basic humanity in the face of unthinkable tragedy.