Valentines Day

Madyson and Fisher

Megan Conley, Reporter

Well, it’s that time of the year again— Valentines Day! Some people have someone and some don’t, and that’s not a bad way to be, but I thought I’d investigate how some people stay together so long and what the secrets are to supporting and loving one another for as long as they have. So the questions I decided to ask were: Where did you meet? How did you start dating? How long have you been together? What do you think the secret is to a good relationship? Here are their responses.:

For a faculty member I chose Mrs.Hartle. She has been at SD for 7 years and is one of the art teachers. I started by asking where her and her husband met. She said, “My husband, Greg, and I met at the University of Southern Indiana in Evansville. We were in an art class together and sat next to each other.” I then asked how they started dating, she responded with, “Over the next 2 or 3 years, we had several Studio Art and Art History classes together. We usually sat next to each other and enjoyed each other’s company. We had a similar sense of humor and liked a lot of the same music and art. We sort of naturally became friends.” The next question I asked was how long they had now been together, she said, ” It’s hard to believe, but we’ve been together for 13 years. The time has really flown!” For my last question to her I asked what she thought the secret to a good relationship is. Her response was, “Try to be a good friend and remember that whatever is hurtful or helpful to the other person will have the same effect on you. ” Mrs.Hartle, we wish you and your husband many more happy years together!

The student I interviewed is senior Madyson Schwing. She is dating a fellow student and senior Fisher Percival. I then asked the same questions. I first asked how long they have been together and she responded with, “We have been together for 11 months now.” After that I asked where they met she said, “We met at school in math class 2 years ago.” I went on to ask how they started dating she said, “We just started as friends and it just kinda happened.” And then I asked the final question what they both thought was the secret to a good relationship. They both said, “Just being honest with one another.”

So no matter where you find love, it sounds like respect and honesty are key elements to a happy relationship.