Red Ribbon Week

Pajama Day participants (l to r): Cheyenne Schuler, Sierra Horsley, Sam Gabbard, and Jenna Waulk

Staff, Staff

October 23-27: Red Ribbon Week strikes again at SDHS!  Each year SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) participates in this national anti-drug initiative.  The first Red Ribbon Week was organized by the National Federation of Parents for Drug Free Youth in 1985 as a response to the murder of  DEA Agent Enrique Camarena.  Angry parents and students in his community wore the red ribbons to show solidarity against the violence and destruction caused by drugs.

Red Ribbon Week at South Dearborn is a little more lively way to encourage students to say no to drugs.  SADD sponsor Shane Wagner says, “Our goal is to educate SD’s students about the dangers of substance abuse and to help those struggling with addiction find the help they need. Drug abuse education, through fun activities and group participation, has always been a staple of how Red Ribbon Week has been instituted at SD. In the war on drugs, it’s great to see so many of our students come together to combat addiction.”

The themes for the week were “Living drug free is no sweat: sweats day” (Tuesday), “Peace out, drugs:tie dye day” (Wednesday), “Rest free drug, drug free: pajamas day” (Thursday), and “Red Ribbon Week: red day” (Friday).  Students were given the opportunity to participate in the Sasquatch Scavenger Hunt, a challenge that involved collecting different drug-related facts.  Overall, it was a great way to educate students about the dangers of substance abuse and to encourage them to make healthy choices in the future.