Tanner Tucker’s 3 on 3

Ashton Richards, Editor

Most of us know Mrs. Tucker as the pretty lady with friendly smile over at the middle school.  Some may have had her as a teacher, but what many students don’t know is that she lost her son, Tanner,  seven years ago. But now Mrs. Tucker and her family are working to make sure that Tanner’s memory lives on while serving the community.

Tanner Tucker’s Family

Seven years ago on August 7, 2010, Tanner Tucker was killed in a one-car collision on Highway 101, just outside of Milan. His death wasn’t caused by alcohol, it wasn’t caused by drugs, and it wasn’t caused by texting or speeding. It was the end of a life. Tanner was a distinguished young man who’d been president of his class since eighth grade. He participated on the Raider varsity basketball and baseball teams, was voted homecoming prince, was an active member of Student Council, as well as an anchor with the CNNSR media staff. He was a member of the Versailles Baptist youth group, as well as a volunteer coach for the Special Olympics. He wasn’t just an athlete and a scholar, though.  He was a Harry Potter fanatic, and he had a Pokemon card collection. He loved the color green and even switched out his 64 box of colorful crayons for 64 different shades of green. When South Ripley won the sectionals in 2010, he knew they’d win as he stated in his speech that he’d written before the game stuck in his sock. He was a young man on the brink of adulthood ready for the next step in his life, when he was tragically taken out of this world and out of the loving embrace of his friends and family.

So for the Tucker family, keeping the memory of such a special person alive has been vital. In 2011, the Tanner Tucker Memorial Scholarship was created. The scholarship is awarded to a graduating senior who embodies those qualities exemplified by Tanner. One of the activities created to fund the scholarship is the Pay It Forward 3 on 3 Tournament. The event will be held at the Tyson Community Center in Versailles on September 16, 2017.  All money raised will go towards the Tanner Tucker Memorial Scholarship  and the Ripley County Community Foundation. Each year,  select senior students take charge of the project, and this year, Tanner’s sister Toria is in charge, along with Jackson Cornett.  Toria explained, “I wanted to do something that would be meaningful to me and raising money for my brother’s scholarship fund is something very important to me.”

The entry fee is $60 dollars per team, and each person player will receive a free T-Shirt.  Age groups to play include 4-6 grade, 7-8 grade and 9-12 grade (boys and girls) and an 18+ for (men only). There will also be a raffle with prizes including gifts from the Indianapolis Indians, the Cincinnati Reds, Newport Aquarium, Cincinnati Museum Center, Whiskeys, The Parlour of Aurora, Greendale Cinema, Lawrenceburger, Gold Star, Chilis, Photography by Callie, George’s Pharmacy, Woolum Realty, Friendship Bank, and more.

The tournament offers local players a chance to have fun with friends, play a little basketball, win some prizes, all for a good cause. And most importantly, it is a way to remember a special person.   “Hopefully, his memory will carry throughout all those who participate,” Toria stated.  

For more information call Toria Tucker (812) 528-5316; Jackson Cornett (812) 756-3991; Trace Tucker (812) 621-0800; or Aimee Cornett (812) 614-1393. You can register by mail using this form: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SbPFOw1sKk-DWB7ZF7Fc4YLqTVjVjDdsqNelEdszsg4/edit.

1 Comment

One Response to “Tanner Tucker’s 3 on 3”

1. Tracy Tucker on September 11th, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks Ashton!! Very nice article. We sure miss Tanner. But we have faith we will see him again and never be seperated in HEAVEN

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Tanner Tucker’s 3 on 3