Homecoming Adventures

Staff

It’s January, and that means time for homecoming again!  This year, homecoming was celebrated the week of Jan. 23-27, culminating in the big game on Friday night, followed by the dance.

As usual, the SDHS Student Government built up enthusiasm with Spirit Days.  The dress-up challenges included sweats day, pajama day, jersey day, college day, and the old classic, class colors day.  There were lunchtime class competitions ranging from paper airplane contests to donut eating races, and students could earn points for their class to add to the yearly running total.  Those are the points that will win a pizza party at the end of the year for most spirited class.

The pep session on Friday at the end of the day was a great success.  SD students showed a lot of spirit as they cheered on the participants. Highlights of the event were the tug-o’-war, dominated by the seniors, who have been undefeated in this event all four years.  Another bright sport was the dazzling performance by the Color Guard, who showed off some new tricks in an exciting new routine.  As usual, the king and queen candidates participated in a hilarious race that involved three legs, whipped cream, and blindfolds.

SD claimed victory at both basketball games against Rushville, and at half time, the royalty was crowned: Joey Black,princess, Charlie Tedesco, prince, and Shania Kimla, queen, with Justin Jones, king.

After the exciting wins, students celebrated at the homecoming dance.  The theme was “Freedom Fiesta,” and it was a patriotic explosion of fun in the cafeteria.